Monday 18 November 2013

Treading Water

I seem to be treading water with my inquiry at the moment and not achieving anything.  I spend time everyday formulating ideas and working on my research but things just seem to take so much longer than I planned! For example my survey, I really want to get 50 respondents and so far have only 38! Getting 38 people to respond however has taken a real effort and lots of time, I guess it was narrow minded to think that everybody would just want to help me!!  Analysing my results has been tricky too and the sample analysis I sent to Paula was quite far off the mark.  I have just a little more reading to do and then I really have to get my literature review written, this will help me so much with my analysis and writing up. 

Yesterday I spent some time starting writing up my inquiry, I know it's a bit soon, but putting something down on the computer was so helpful.  It made me feel like I have achieved something and also made me focus on what I need to get on with.  Hopefully this week will be a bit more productive and I will get some work done!

Where am I now?
I am currently on stage 2, 3 and 4! I need to complete my literature review to move off of stage 2, I need to get those final 12 respondents for my survey and complete my interviews to move off of stage 3 and I need to analyse my findings to move off of stage 4! Then I will finally be able to get on with writing up. my findings.

It is currently week 8 in this 12 week process so I have to get on with these tasks.  NO SLACKING MIMI!

4 comments:

  1. I think the trouble with inquiry is that it's development isn't linear - it's not a simple matter of question and answer, is it, but an indepth development of ideas, critical thinking, professional practice, etc.
    I keep having to remind myself that you can't rush creativity and that doing and writing and scribbling and drawing about the data and the theory is an important part of getting all the ideas out and letting them interact to see what fits where.
    It's scary when the deadline is looming but I know you'll get there.
    GO MIMI!
    S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, I had one of those middle of the night panics last night! I woke up in a cold sweat thinking about how little time I have left! Oh Dear! More productive day today though so that's always a good thing. I agree with you, with each question I endeavour to answer 3 more questions open up. I need to remember that this is a small scale inquiry. Are you going to the campus session this week? I can't make it so would like to know who's blog to keep an eye on! x

      Delete
    2. Hi girls! Yes, the inquiry doesn't necessarily lead us down one straight path so it is inevitable that our plan will change here and there but I think that's ok..we should be using the information we have found rather than sticking with our previous assumptions and this takes time! I've been surprised by some of my results so far, but in a good way...I have gained a lot more than I expected from 3 very honest interviews! We must keep going Mimi! I feel bad because I haven't blogged as much as I'd have liked to but I've been going through so many books and making notes..I just need to write them up now! x

      Delete
    3. I know that feeling Claire, I don't know if I'm blogging enough or not! I have also been surprised by some of my findings, this inquiry process really is a road of discovery!

      Delete